Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The doldrums of winter

Around here at The Essential Herbal, we usually think of February and March as "the dead" of winter. In the past, that has been the case. The Mar/Apr issue is all but out the door, and there isn't a festival or plant sale for months. So that would normally mean lots of reading, cleaning the house, and winter snoozes. This year that doesn't seem to be happening.
It started out several months ago, when Sarah Liberta asked if we'd come down and do an herb program in Baton Rouge in the beginning of May. I've been promising Sarah for (literally) years, so decided this was the year. It should be lots of fun, and I'll post more details as the time approaches.
Then of course we wound up taking part in the Farm Show. That seriously cut into our down time, right from the git go.
Little by little, the calendar is starting to fill up.
There's a wholesale presentation on the 11th.
A one-day trip to NYC on the 15th.
On the 21st, we're going to try a daytime class - incense making - at Radiance (717-290-1517 to register) at 1 pm. I've never done one in the daytime, so it should be interesting. There are already some sign ups, so if you're in the area, it is $12 and you'll get to take home some cones that you've made yourself from powders of wood, resin, and botanicals.
March looks deceptively empty, but I know that is the month that wholesale orders start to pelt my sister's soap business. We'll be up to our elbows with shrinkwrap, packing materials, and boxes.
Right now it seems that everyone on the Yahoo list is reading (or re-reading) the Outlander series. I've just begun the first book, but everytime I settle in to read my eyes fall shut.
Last week we were yakking about chickweed. It made me remember the 8 ounces of tincture I made up last year, and since I've gotten seriously involved in getting in shape for the coming gardening season. So, that's part of the plan. Let's see if it helps, shall we?

No comments: