Saturday, February 28, 2009

If I didn't know better...

....I might think the groundhog (why are those overgrown rodents a recurring theme in my life????) was wrong.
Perhaps because I am just enjoying the comparatively mild temperatures the last week. Could be the garden show - www.midatlanticgardenshow.com - going on this weekend that I fervently hope to get to. Maybe it is all just wishful thinking, but it certainly feels like spring is around the corner.
Nature has been tossing out little gems for me to gaze upon, tempting me outside again. As I sat here typing, outside the window 2 red tail hawks and a large crow were dipping and diving in some form of combat. There are things happening out there. Sap is rising.
I'll show you!

This appeared down the road the other day! The first baby of the year. They usually have 3 or 4 little colts each spring, but it is quite early. This little one is SO tiny! The women folk around here all squeal with delight when we see them, driving the guys crazy. It's becoming a sport :-).The lemon thyme is putting out fresh leaves. We always seem to have some fresh thyme, but I noticed how lush this looks. Of course those leaves are way smaller than they appear in the picture, measuring no more than 1/4" each in length.I've talked about the mountain mint that grows here. It was a little slip that came home from Baton Rouge with me, and now it is quite a large, healthy patch. It is spreading vigorously with underground runners. I am becoming a bit alarmed. May need to move the berries.The beautiful gray sage is a marvel to me in the winter. As harsh as the weather is, the plant continues to push small leathery leaves. Really a stunning plant! When it warms up a bit I will trim it way back to get rid of the "legs".Finally, what we laughingly call the "terrorist cell" of roving chickens. There are about 6 of them, and that rooster is the ringleader. He's a beauty, by the way, with a big ruffly buff colored neck, and tail feathers that shine in every different color of the rainbow, depending on the light. The rest are mostly hens, with one other rooster who thinks if he hangs around...well.. you know. They come up each day and scratch around in the mulch. When they hear a door, they take off for the trees. When a hawk flies overhead, they are in the trees faster than I'd have thought possible. They react very quickly.
So at any given time, there are roosters crowing from all different directions on the farm. A lovely cacophony.

5 comments:

Rosemary said...

I certainly hope it's not just wishful thinking.... spring has to be right around the corner, it just has to be! You have presented a powerful case demonstrating significant signs of spring, but with the threat of bad weather on the horizon, the fact that you didn't show a robin, concerns me.
Nancy

Tina Sams said...

DOH!!! I was hoping nobody would notice. You and your attention to detail. I can't get away with anything :-).

Patricia said...

I sure hope you're right, Tina. I will pay no attention to the four letter word that we're supposed to get 6 inches of tonight!
Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Ooooohhhhh! That little colt just got me! Another friend sent a pic of the first baby horse of the year at her ranch in CA, and I just LOVE horses. This was such a sweet treat! Thank you!

the lemon thyme, mountain mint, and sage were luscious sights as well!

And the chickens :)

I just love this visual taste of the countryside! It's a nice getaway from this concrete jungle.

youneekone said...

I'm in Des Moines, Iowa and it was over SEVENTY DEGREES here today! Yea! I found green rumex peeking through and a few other green starts under some leaves. Thanks for the chicken and herb photos!
Nancy O
youneekone@gmail.com