Wednesday, March 23, 2011

busy day breakfast (or lunch, or dinner...)

I'm kind of addicted to this at the moment, and could eat it 3 times a day. My sister and I joined a gym recently and try to get there early each day so it doesn't eat into our days too much (we don't need any excuses not to go). When we get back, I'm hungry, and this has been a great healthy breakfast. I'd like to add that although we both have lots of weight to lose, we are more focused on getting more fit and gaining strength and stamina. Stronger bones is part of the plan, too.
So here we go...
The ingredients are any flavor of Greek yogurt, some granola or cereal (I'm liking the Kashi Crunch flavors), and some nuts.I am passionately in love with Chobani Greek yogurt because they don't use any HFCS or aspartame and it is very difficult to find a yogurt that doesn't include one or the other. Additionally, they donate a percentage of their profits to worldwide charities and I can get behind that :-). Kashi has a lot of great ingredients in their cereal too.The yogurt goes into the bowl first (sort of the way mashed potatoes go on a plate before the gravy, etc...), then the cereal, and then sprinkle with some nuts.The yogurt has 140 calories, 1/2 C of the cereal is 100 calories, and the nuts probably add another 40 or 50 calories. So we're making a satisfying, delicious bowl of goodness for 300 calories! Lots of my friends make their own yogurt and granola, and that's great. I do not, and really like the convenience of this - almost a guilty pleasure! It keeps me going until lunch and feels sort of like I had an ice cream sundae for breakfast.

4 comments:

Diana said...

You've pretty much laid out my favorite breakfast here. I love the various Kashi cereals, and mixed with Craisins and Greek yogurt they're even better (I like Stonyfield Farm's Oikos yogurt)!

me, Mavis said...

Hey me too! I joined Planet Fitness about 6 weeks ago and have been trying to walk the treadmill 3x week for some combination of at least 2 miles and/or 30 minutes. I, too, have weight to lose, but am focusing on strength, flexibility, and energy. Cheers to you!

Lynda Hardy said...

Yum - that's my favorite breakfast, too, esp with bits of dried fruit as well as granola and nuts.

Larry said...

I will have to try this next time I am at the store. Sounds great.