Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spring Greens & Eggs


Lunch today was very special! A walk around the yard yielded several ingredients for an egg scramble that also used up some things that were needing to be eaten soon.
Tame items included eggs, some mushrooms, fresh salsa, cheese, ham, and butter. Outside I found chickweed, tender dandelion leaves, and some young garlic mustard leaves. Rather than cutting into a whole yellow onion, I yanked a wild onion from the mint patch (multi-tasking at its best).
While the chopped onion and mushrooms simmered with the butter, I chopped up the greens and mixed them into the eggs along with the ham. As they became tender in the pan, the egg mixture was poured over them and stirred.
After the eggs set well, everything got a quick flip, and a hefty topping of salsa and cheese. A few minutes covered to heat through - delish!
Be sure to add some wild yard weeds to your diet this spring. It adds a little something special to any dish you prepare!

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

What a delicious looking meal! Gathering food that you have grown yourself makes it even better!

Carla said...

I love poached eggs on a bed of spring greens. This dish looks sooo good.

Bethany Benton Art said...

That looks delicious! I'm so glad I found you blog. I'm really getting into herbs this year, so I'll be visiting a lot. So far, I've planted: oregano, marjoram, basil, cilantro, parsley, thyme, rosemary & pineapple sage (the sage is how I found your blog). I made rosemary popcorn yesterday ... delicious! I enjoyed your post. :-)

Bethany Benton Art said...

Hello, I’ve nominated your blog for The Versatile Blogger award because your blog is inspiring, entertaining and a true joy to visit.
http://www.daylilysoup.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award-nomination.html

Angela said...

Looks so yummy! I can't wait for everything to start sprouting so I can make this myself!