Sunday, September 02, 2012

Pineapple core - dried

Over the past few months, I have been eating pineapple a lot.  It started when we dropped grains and sugar from our diet here.  It's always easier to take something away if it is replaced with more variety in what will become regular.  So instead of starchy, sugary snack-y stuff, I chose some fruits and foods that wouldn't typically have been affordable.  It's was a good trade-off, and fresh pineapples landed on the counter at least once a week.
A happy side effect came from the bromelain, an enzyme that decreases inflammation.  People often notice relief from joint pain and arthritis when taking bromelain, and that was true for me too.  I also noticed another side effect in the easing of gastro-intestinal symptoms I've been working on through diet.  The core has more bromelain than the fleshy fruit portion, and it seems like there has to be a way to preserve them. 
I have chopped up a couple of cores and have them soaking in vodka.  Pulling a slice out one evening in an attempt to stave off stomach problems worked, but woo boy - very potent to chew.
Today I decided to dry the core in the oven.
 

  First I sliced it very finely into small pieces, and laid them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
They went into the oven on the lowest setting (Warm) and I left to do some work for a few hours.
When I returned, they were done. 
They taste just like small pieces of pineapple flavored candy.
Never again will a pineapple core go to waste!  These would be worth drying even if it was just for the deliciousness, never mind the health benefits.

11 comments:

Melonie said...

Thank you for this - I had no idea the core could be used for anything!

Wilma said...

I used to live in Hawaii. We have a special way to cut fresh pineapple. From top to bottom, including the core.

I hate to throw away good nutritious food. I love this idea. Thanks a bunch.

Antonia said...

does heat affect bromelain at all?

Tina Sams said...

I don't know the answer to that, but use very low heat to dry it, so I don't feel like it's enough to change it... not more than making a tea with it, for instance.

Ronnie Bear said...

Can the slices be dried in a food dehydrater?

Ronnie Bear said...

Can the core slices be dried in a food dehydrater?

Tina Sams said...

Sure!

Anonymous said...

The core is tougher than the rest of the pineapple when raw.. is it still tough after you dry it in the oven?

Tina Sams said...

Yes it is. Chewy :-)

Unknown said...

Tina does the Core still have that prickliness to it after dehydrated? The Tincture you were making do you think the alcohol drew out the Bromelain from the fresh pineapple? Have you tried making a tincture from the dried core?

Tina Sams said...

I haven't tried using the dried core for tincture. Just eat it like a sweet treat. And I'll have to go find the tincture and see - I just used it as a flavoring in beverages, not really thinking so much about medicinal.