Tuesday, June 03, 2014

In search of the perfect chicken salad



contributed by Molly Sams

Over the past couple weeks I have been craving chicken salad. While there are plenty of restaurants with good chicken salad, I have yet to find one that had everything I wanted. Some had cranberries but no walnuts, while others had walnuts but no spice. There was always something missing.

I first had chicken salad while I was away at college. During one of my study sessions at a local coffee shop, I decided to try something new. I was shocked when I found out the chicken salad I thought was only made in diners for the early bird special could actually be incredibly delicious. Since then I’ve been determined to find it again.

So Mom took on the task to make the perfect chicken salad. During one of the days I was away at class, she painstakingly prepared a chicken salad that had everything from cashews to cranberries, even nasturtium.

She succeeded.

And I had to share the greatness.

First you start with:

1 large chicken breast
1 C of water
1 sprig of rosemary
1 sprig of time

Roast for one hour.

Once the chicken is done roasting mix the cooled, cubed chicken with:

¼ C craisuns
2 ribs of celery, chopped
¼ C of sweet onion chopped
½ C of salted cashew pieces
1 hardboiled egg

After that it is time to add the herbs!

2 nasturtium blossoms
3 lemon verbena leaves
¼ c parsley
2 sprigs of thyme
1 small sprig of rosemary
1 chive blossom
Chop all fine and then mix well into the chicken salad and add one cup of mayo.

Afterward you should let chill in the fridge, buy some fantastic buns or even croissants and enjoy!

No comments: