Monday, July 25, 2022

Meeting Another Herbie in the Wild

posted by Molly Sams

Last weekend I went to Herman Gulch. It’s an out-and-back trail a little over seven miles in length. The trail is in Dillon Colorado (somewhere off of I-70) and it is absolutely stunning.

If you ever plan to hike it, be sure to hit the trail earlier rather than later. I prefer getting to the trail by six or seven a.m. at the latest. If you can, you may also want to go on a weekday to avoid the crowds. Bring your trekking polls and knee braces if your knees are anything like mine. You’re mostly going up-hill to the summit (which you think is the worst part). The downhill is what got me. Luckily there are plenty of places to take a quick water/stretching break. And I assure you, the trek is worth it. 


There were fields full of prairie-fire (Indian paintbrush), columbine, and giant hyssop. The trail was also lush with yarrow, spring beauty, and wild roses. There was even a small pica village at one point!

Much of the hike was next to a creek with waterfalls and it eventually led up to an absolutely stunning lake. Next to the creek there were plenty of quaking aspen and conifers. The entire hike was wonderful for all of the senses.


As we walked up I overheard a group looking at and identifying plants (Arnica is the major one that sticks in my mind). Unfortunately I was too out of breath to catch up to them. As we reached the summit I was able to say hello and chat.

I introduced myself to the woman that was identifying plants previously. She told me she was taught (I believe, but please don’t quote me) by Laurel Dewey. She told me how going on weed walks and learning plant identification had changed how she hiked and how she saw nature in general.

We parted ways when we made it to the lake so we could dip our toes in the water with those we had hiked with.


I wished I had gotten a picture, or a name, or anything, to reconnect with that lovely lady. But I am lucky. I am lucky to have had such a wonderful connection and discussion with someone that, at first, was a complete stranger. I love how herbs can lead you to these moments. Meeting other herbal enthusiasts, herbalists, herbies, or whatever they call themselves can create such a beautiful opportunity to learn. 


Sometimes you learn about new herbs, or recipes, or preparations. And sometimes you get to learn about the person and their life lessons. It’s often a beautiful connection. Something that is to always be cherished.

No comments: