Thursday, June 02, 2011

Spiraled lavender wands

Back in 2007, I posted this illustrated tutorial on making lavender wands:
http://theessentialherbal.blogspot.com/2007/06/making-lavender-wands.html
and since that time, there are many others on-line.
But a few years ago I posted this picture with the wands we were doing at the time....
My nephew was working with us on the wands then, and quickly grew bored. Being a math/computer guy, he came up with a few designs (one of which was 2-color with the spirals going in different directions!) that were fun and easy for us to follow.
Since then, I tried to get him to put together a little booklet of designs, but the silly boy keeps putting things like academic degrees first. Pfffftttt....
So today when I got another request for instructions, I decided to just go ahead and put them out there to share....
From my nephew, H. Rob Schwartz:
"Sure, the trick's pretty simple.
"Over 2, under 3" makes for a nice pattern, but any over/under-type combination is fine so long as the total number of stems in a step is equal to 5 (so 2 + 3 = 5). So "over 1, under 1, over 1, under 2" would also work (since 1+1+1+2 = 5), but it might look a little busy.
The number of stems must be plus or minus 1 from a multiple of 5. For example, 24 and 26 are OK, but 25 isn't. 29 and 31 are OK, but 30 isn't, etc. If the number of stems *were* a multiple of five, the rows wouldn't spiral around the columns, since there's no offset. Each column in every row would be the same. Using an offset of 2 instead of 1 (so 23 or 27 instead of 24 or 26) should also work, but might make for tighter spirals.

To sum up:
--> Pattern: Over 2, under 3.
--> # of stems: (multiple of 5) plus or minus 1.

Good luck!"

8 comments:

Leann B said...

OMG do I need a Degree first? LMBO!!!!

Tina Sams said...

haha - it really is very simple IF you start with the right number of stems. The rest is just following the pattern consistently. We make a lot of wands here each year, so it was nice to try something different for a change.

*Ulrike* said...

I have about 5 Provence bushes which I absolutely love. I have not done the wands yet so I might give it a try.

Anonymous said...

This is really pretty! Now...hmmm...just have to find some lavender stems! Any ideas for someone who doesn't grow their own? LOL

Tina Sams said...

Sorry... I don't. Depending on where you are in the country, some places (Oregon state comes to mind) have pick-your-own lavender farms.

Jeanine said...

BRILLIANT! I love making wands and I've been wondering how to do more interesting patterns. Tell your nephew he's a genius!

Janewoc said...

I just harvested two of my lavender bushes, made a quart of hydrosol and was sitting down to make lavender wands. Just like magic, your email arrived and I get to try new designs! I have lavender wands carefully tucked in a trunk that belonged to my grandmother. I’m thinking the wands are not newer than the 1940’s with still a hint of lavender lingering.

Tina Sams said...

I do enjoy the newsletter format because it can be timely.
Lavender's fragrance seems to last right up until it turns to dust and blows away!