Monday, March 23, 2009

The engines are revving

It is the end of March now. Spring is officially here. Herbies are shifting into high gear.
Here at The Essential Herbal, we are putting the finishing touches on the next issue so that we can have that in the mail before the insanity is in full swing.
One of my favorite articles in the upcoming issue is about herbalists' workspaces. Several herbies were generous and sent pictures of their apothecaries, shipping areas, and kitchens. Very inspiring just to see how other people store their stuff or keep it organized!

I got Molly to take my picture in the office here because that is one of my workspaces. The cover will be another of the workspaces here. I usually post other people's pictures here, so this is where I spend a good portion of my day.There are a lot of other things going on around here. The fun part of the year is closing in.
We've been making and shipping soap. Apparently small luxuries are still quite popular. I've been trying to spend about an hour a day out weeding and fooling around outside on the days that are warm enough. Lots of Botanical Bead Powders need to be packaged for the coming festivals, and many of the products we make down at the soap company - balms and bathing herbs, scrubs and spritzes... all need to be stocked.

I'm hosting an herbal swap that is due in a couple of weeks. So far the entries that have arrived are spectacular. I decided to up my game this morning with the last arrival, but it is something I'll be presenting in a lecture shortly, so it all works together.

I believe that our calendars are about as full as we want them to be now, and at least until fall, we will start to decline invitations (unless they are really juicy, of course) to do presentations.
It is impossible not to notice that as the sap rises and the plants around me begin to green up, the same thing is happening in a certain way to me. Everything quickens and the pace picks up. Winter is over. A new year begins.

6 comments:

girlwithasword said...

Tina, may I say you look MAHVELLOUS, Dahlink?!?!

Tina Sams said...

heh heh - thanks.

Gail said...

Tina, thank you for taking the workspace idea and running with it. I am looking forward to seeing these ideas. Once my greenhouse is cleaned up and working for spring I will send some pictures your way. We are still in winter mode, all I have going right now is a lighted grown rack, with nicely growing seedlings.

Tina Sams said...

It has been so cool to have so much input this year as to what people want - and then we have so much fun pulling it together!
Next issue, I think we're going to do festival and market booths. Thanks Gail!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to be able to get outside in your garden. Here is MN it is still winter...wishing so hard for a little sun and some green!

Laura said...

loved this! and it's so true, as "everything quickens and the pace picks up," so do we! :)