Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Persimmon Sandies - Gluten Free

This morning I posted a picture of persimmons on The Essential Herbal Facebook page, and a couple of people asked what they tasted like. I had some pulp in the freezer, so I got it out and thawed it to really be able to describe it (sweet tea with fruit).
Once it was thawed, I had to use it. There's no need to have a whole bunch of cookies in the house, and we're going to the Farm at Coventry tonight so.... But there will be people there who can't have gluten.
There was a good cup of rice flour in the cupboard. Hmmmm...

Here's the recipe I threw together:

1 C rice flour
1 C sugar
3/4 C persimmon pulp
1 T finely chopped ginger root
1/4 C chopped walnuts
1/2 t cream of tartar
1 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon

Mixed it up good, dropped small spoonfuls onto parchment, and baked them at 350 degrees for 13 minutes. Parchment was VERY important.. They still needed to be lifted from the parchment with a knife.

If there had been more flour, it would have been better to add some butter and an egg. I think I'll make an orange glaze to top them with.

2 comments:

Comfrey Cottages said...

oh my gosh I doubly jealous now! lol adore persimmons:) have a wonderful time Tina!! Wish it were a recorded event so I could evesdrop! thanks for sharing the recipe. I think orange glaze on top sounds great

Anne-Marie said...

Oh my goodness, those sound amazing. It's almost 10 p.m. and now all I want to do is eat cookies. Thanks for sharing the recipe. We have on GF gal at work that I'll be sure to pass this along to.