Wednesday, May 04, 2016

First Potpourri

A little while ago my mother bought me a beautiful bouquet of roses, daisies, baby's breath, and other flowers for my birthday. Soon after I decided to let them dry so I could make potpourri for my new home. It is definitely not the perfect potpourri but I must say it is incredibly special to me.

Here is what I did.



Cut flower heads from stems and place on cookie sheet with parchment paper

Place flowers far enough away from one another so they dry evenly

Allow to dry for one to two weeks

Once dry mix with orris root or other fixative (patchouli, oak moss, or benzoin)
I used who but there is also powder or kernels. If you're using whole use one or two inch pieces depending on your batch. I made two small batches so I used half inch pieces for each batch. If using kernels you will want a teaspoon per ounce of potpourri.

Spritz potpourri with a mixture of 10 drops essential oil (I used lavender) and one ounce distilled water. 
Be sure to get plenty on the orris root or fixative so it will hold the scent longer.

And voila! Find a pretty bowl and enjoy!

No comments: