Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Lancaster Farmer's Market



The Farmer's Market in the city of Lancaster is the longest continuously operating inland farmers market in the country. Ever since I was a child, the market has been filled with the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats, and fish, along with flowers for the table and baked goods that just cannot be described. As times have changed and time itself is less available, delis have popped up offering delectable pasta salads and pre-cooked meals that make your mouth water just thinking about them. In case you can't tell, I've been having a blast going all over the county this spring helping my sister find wholesale outlets for her Lancaster County Soaps. Even though this area has been my home nearly my whole life, it never ceases to be a joy and a pleasure to me. The availability of fresh foods used to be something I took for granted until I traveled a bit and found that this is not the norm.We are very fortunate here. There are also some booths with jellies and jams, coffees and teas, dips, and OH MY the candies, hot soft pretzels, hotdogs, home made breads, baklava. It can be a very dangerous place to the uninitiated. One of the very first rules is to walk all of the aisles before buying. The prices can be quite a bit different from aisle to aisle - depending on how close to an entrance the booth is. Many of the purchases come from tourists on buses, so some of the vendors price accordingly.It is a favorite place to take visitors from out of the area- especially because it gives me an excuse, but also it is great fun for my daughter and me on easygoing Saturday mornings. The surrounding area of the city is full of little shops with interesting items and crafts. One of them, the Lancaster County Heritage Museum has some incredible redware. And the very best greeting cards can be purchased at Zanzibar, and Molly wouldn't consider a trip to town complete without stopping for brunch at Aroma Borealis. These pictures were all taken strolling through market today. Can't wait to try the newest find - mini mangoes... They sure sound good. We'll have to see!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I love Farmers' Markets!