Saturday, June 16, 2007

Making Lavender Wands


Every year we enjoy this craft at The Essential Herbal. It isn't new, and I have no idea where it first came from, but I first saw it in Phyllis Shaudys' book Herbal Treasures. They make nice drawer sachets, and sweet little tie-ons for gifts. Besides, it is such a pleasant way to spend an hour or so in the garden.

We've taken a series of photos to show you how to make your own. If you miss a stem, or it doesn't look quite right, don't fret. It's LAVENDER, for Pete's sake! It's supposed to be relaxing. The first one will probably not turn out very well. Do a second, and you'll see improvement. Also, even though they take longer, it is actually easier to do the ones that have more stems.
To begin, choose an ODD number of stems of lavender. Grosso is a good choice because the stems are long and straight. Let the stems wilt - but not dry. These were left on the counter overnight.

Choose a ribbon to weave. For beginners, try using 1/4" rather than the 1/8" I've used here. You'll need a good yard of it to weave with, and another couple of feet for finishing.
After you've tied the ribbon snugly at the base of the blossoms (use one end of the ribbon to tie, leaving the rest of the ribbon free for weaving), begin bending the stems down over the blossoms. Try to bend them evenly so that they are spaced well. Enclose the short end of the ribbon inside the stems.

You'll wind up with a cage around the lavender flowers.


Begin weaving in and out. It is easiest to lift the stem, and slide the ribbon underneath. The first two rows are the hardest.








When you reach the bottom of the blossoms, it is time to tie it off. You'll find that it gets very confusing as you get to the bottom, because all of the stems are close together.




Cut another length of ribbon, and center the wand on it, tying the leftover weaving end along with the new ribbon. I used a square knot.






Twist one end down to the bottom of the stems.



Twist the other end in the other direction and tie at the bottom.


Add a bow at the top and trim the ends of the stem evenly.
If you don't have the inclination to make one yourself, we have them on our site.

16 comments:

Where fibers meet mud said...

Wow is that cool
Gonna go cut some grosso in the dark and do that tomorrow - for sheer fun - when you are finished are we talking 9 inches or 6 - just so I can guage when to trim...

Tina Sams said...

They are probably closer to 9". When I make them from Munstead, they are about 5", and I've seen some from Grosso that are longer than a foot! I just couldn't wait until my spikes got that long. But there are 6 more plants out there :-).

Where fibers meet mud said...

I did it! My first one looks like yours - my second one was done in the almost dark and I missed a few spots and wanted to try a larger number - the smaller the better I think - I will post pictures on my spot Wednesday! Off to the reasonw why lavendar is my favorite herb - because I have to WORK for a living!

Tina Sams said...

I'm with you on that. Sat out on the deck the other night, alternatingly weaving and watching the sun go down. Not such a great idea wand-wise, but it was a beautiful sunset.

Anonymous said...

Tina

Thanks so much for posting this. I have never seen these before!

The smaller 1/8-inch ribbon is easier than larger ribbon.

I have a bunch of french tarragon that I am going to try this with as well!

Laura said...

INCREDIBLE! I love that you showed the whole process for making these beautiful wands. They are a must have for any herb or wand enthusiast! I love mine! :)

Anonymous said...

wow, this is great!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited.... I've just spent hours trying to find my pattern I saw somewhere in my craft stuff and also hrs on the internet looking for tussy mussys and here you are instructions and all. God Bless you. Maree

Linda K. said...

Thanks, Tina for easy instructions for these wands. I have provided a link in my blog for others to enjoy your wands. Thanks for the photos!
Linda

Unknown said...

great craft, i've posted it here:
http://believingnature.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/lavender-wands/

Unknown said...

The function of the lavender sticks kinda eludes me to be honest.

What do you use it for or as?

Tina Sams said...

They are small sachets, decorative, or can be little tie-ons for gifts. Lavender wands hung in a closet will keep moths away.

Merkouroglou said...

Thanks for the detailed information, they were very useful!

Anonymous said...

Lavender wand is something new to me and I am delighted to have a few blooms so I am going to try to make one! Thanks for the directions!

Debbie.zimmerman@gmail.com said...

Thank you for reposting this. I finally have a lavender plant that has lived long enough to spread out and produce measurable flower stalks, so I will cut some and try this! Any tips about propagating new lavender plants from one that is thriving?

Tina Sams said...

I've had branches touch bare ground, get tamped in, and put out roots - creating a new plant. Generally though, I just buy them :-)