Out we went.
I'm actually a little rusty, and it takes me some time outside each spring to reacquaint myself with some of the weeds, so I was glad to have Molly and Maryanne along to pitch in.
After about an hour (during which I realized how very diverse the plants in the yard are...) the storm clouds rolled in and we wrapped it up outside.
Inside, Molly made the tea we had harvested outside, while explaining the choices and how to make it. I talked about how I find it harder to make a bad blend than it is to make a good one.
The blend we used:
1 part Stinging Nettles
1 part Black Raspberry Leaves
1 part Chocolate Mint
1/4 part Spearmint
Earlier in the day, we'd put oil on to warm with echinacea, plantain, and violet leaves and flowers. We strained that out and added beeswax, poured it into little jars, and labeled them. We'd talked about the plants used, and they were also written up in the handout.
It was a very fulfilling class. One attendee was surprised to find that she really liked the tea, and was looking forward to using the salve, while another told me that although she's made oils and tinctures before, she never harvested them from their natural environment before. Both of those comments explain exactly why we do what we do. They made my week.