Friday, March 04, 2022

Knee Surgery and Recovery

This topic isn't for everyone, but I would have loved to have known some of this stuff going in.  Of course all of us are different, but I think I can offer some reassurance and possibly helpful advice.

I am 5 weeks out now and my strength and stamina are returning.  At night I still take an OTC pain reliever, Tylenol for me.

So first, let's talk about preparation.
You will need someone to stay with you.  2 weeks is probably enough, 3 is better.
The good news is that you will be able to shower and use the toilet alone from day one.
The bad news is that those things take ALL of your energy and strength, and so someone to prepare meals and keep track of meds is important.

I had 2 months to think about it (thanks COVID), so preparations were pretty extensive.  For instance:
~ My daughter installed the bidet that I'd purchased and couldn't figure out during the toilet paper shortage.
~ I cooked TONS of chicken, fish, soups, etc., and had lots of veggies in the freezer for easy meals.


~ During a pre-op physical therapy appointment, the therapist told me that keeping knees up didn't mean on the recliner.  They need to be higher than the heart.  So I got a wedge.


~ Ordered a simple framework for around the toilet so that there was something to help for up and down.  I honestly wish I had gotten this months earlier, because it took so much pressure off the knee.


~ Got a couple vacuum grips for the shower.


~ Borrowed a shower seat.  Thanks Julie!  It's almost time for it to go home.


~ Borrowed my sister's walker from her back surgery last year.  That thing has been used about 10 times all together.  Quickly graduated to a cane.
CORRECTION:  For the first week or 10 days, I used it constantly to get around the house.  I forgot.

~ A pre-surg class suggested asking for a second ice pack (the hospital provided - and they are great!)


So what's it like? 
The day of surgery, they will get you up.  You will not like it.  Most of the pain meds from surgery will have worn off. Then you will get better meds and it will never be that bad again. 
You will go to a quick physical therapy lesson, to learn how to get into the car, etc.  I only remembered that a few days ago.  Then you go home.  I stayed overnight because of a pre-existing condition, but many people go home the same day.

That first week is kind of fuzzy.  I kept my feet up and my knee well iced, and didn't have any swelling, which is apparently atypical.  About day 3 I went to physical therapy, but don't remember it.  Mostly it was my sister giving me food, liquids, and meds. 

At about 10 days, the staples were removed and a new, lighter dressing was applied for another week.

Then there was PT twice a week.  I love the office we use.  It's gentle and although I was warned that it would be terribly painful, that wasn't my experience at all. 
CORRECTION:  Those meds really messed with my memory!  Talking to my therapist yesterday, she reminded me that in the beginning I did not enjoy her pushing me to bend further, and I whined a good bit about the whole thing hahaha.
By the end of the second or third (?) week, it was time to cut back on meds, but I didn't want to.  I was grumpy at PT, and luckily for me, my therapist was firm and told me that it was up to me how miserable this was going to be, but I needed to get it together.  That was it.  I turned a corner and only took meds for sleep or if I was going to PT.  It started to get a lot better fast. 

The third and fourth week are when you start remembering things.  Like... the night before surgery, after I took that purifying shower, I ran the dishwasher and noticed there was dirty water all over the kitchen floor.  Maryanne's husband had it fixed while I was in the hospital, but I'd completely forgotten about it.  

This was also when I started attempting things like going along to the grocery store.  It was a LOT at first.  Going out for lunch was like a magical dream!

The other day I went alone.  Today I forgot to grab one of the handles when I got in the shower.  It's the little stuff.

I noticed early on that I was expecting a lot from myself, trying to keep everything running smoothly (especially attempting to market a book that was about to be released).  Most people who work for other people would have 6 or 8 weeks off, and not push themselves so much.  So ... take from that what you will.  For me it was probably a good thing.



No comments: