Saturday, August 05, 2006

Life is too good sometimes

The last few days have been pretty idyllic around here. We got the next issue of The Essential Herbal off to the printer, and it is so much fun to be able to wander off the porch and find the perfect photo to complement an article or recipe.
It is relaxing and almost timeless here. We gathered at my sister's down the hill for a supper of chicken corn soup last night, and then I came home and sat on the deck to watch what would become a spectacular sunset. It was breathtaking, and as I watched it made me think how some moments are beyond description.

We have what could be termed a communal garden. I grow the a bunch of things and most of the herbs, while they grow a bunch of other things down there. We both browse both gardens for what we need.

Today I went out to gather what needed to be picked and found that my eggplants are going nuts. Their cucumbers are almost scary in their proliferation. I don't even want to think about the tomatoes or the beans that are to come. Foolishly, I planted a few different heirloom varieties, and Bob planted about 20 Big Boys, and Yellow Boys. I planted 3 different heirloom varieties of beans and 5 or 6 different peppers. We'll cross those bridges when we get to them. The watermelons are doing great, while the honeydews have yet to set fruit. I really love this.
I went searching for recipes from friends today and this was one I got:

Sicilian Eggplant Caponata is to die for, more so if you grewup on Italian food like I did... LOL
1 lg eggplant or 2 smaller
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed (I always use more but I love garlic!)
3 celery stalks
1 can (1pound) Italian plum tomatoes (Roma)
10 large green olives, quartered and pitted
3 T pine nuts
1/4 c capers
1/4 c wine vinegar
2 T sugar
Wash eggplant. Do not peel. Cut into 1" cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Fry in heated oil until tender. Take out and set aside. Saute onion in sameoil until tender. Add garlic, celery, tomatoes and olives. Cook slowly for 10 mins. Add eggplant, pine nuts, and capers. Heat vinegar and stir in sugar. Add tovegetable mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook 5 mins longer.Serve chilled as an appetizer or relish. Makes 6 servings.
Sandi BlackKat Herbs http://www.blackkatherbs.com/

No comments: