Monday, January 26, 2015

Herb of the Week: Chamomile




When I think of Chamomile I’m immediately transported back to my childhood (as is everyone, I think). Any night that started with nightmares, sniffles, a tummy ache, or restlessness usually ended with a cup of chamomile tea and my mother carrying a passed out Molly back to her bedroom. Those were the days…

While I may not teleport in my sleep anymore, I still take chamomile. Its ability to calm anxiety and soothe stomachaches can be fantastic for children as well as women during their menstrual cycle.

Chamomile’s fragrance also makes it a treat to drink. The aroma of apples makes a fantastic and delicate tea, which can be perfect for children who tend to be picky eaters.

Because chamomile is antioxidant, antimicrobial, antiplatelet, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and anxiolytic, it is able to aid in a number of ailments. While we all know to drink it before bed it can be used for less common ailments such as blemishes or hemorrhoids.

My favorite use for it, however, is for PMS. Chamomile can be used as a diuretic if brewed in a decoction according to Modern Botanical. It also helps with any feelings of moodiness or frustration since it can soothe an anxious mind. As if it wasn’t enough, chamomile is also an antispasmodic, which makes it perfect to drink for cramps.

So while your office is filled to the brim with paperwork or your children have to go to four different games this afternoon take a second to brew yourself some chamomile tea!

Chamomile tea:

1 tsp dry or 1 Tbsp fresh chamomile
1 cup boiled water
steep for 5 minutes
add a touch of honey if child is over 2 years of age, sugar if younger. 
Lemon is a nice addition.

Sources:



1 comment:

Eric Waltemate, D.C. said...

This is one of my favorite "kitchen herbs" to use for insomnia or to help unwind at the end of a hectic day. Even the kids like to drink it.