Saturday, June 11, 2016

Palmieres sort of - well, not at all like palmieres

It's been busy around here, and we have been letting things like groceries go.  Munching away at a cut up watermelon is almost like a meal, right?  We were wrapping soap earlier, and talking about how we only have odds and ends around in the cupboards - not what we really need for decent dishes.  I wanted something sweet, and these were my odds and ends:
- a package of puff pastry sheets
- a jar of sour cherry "preserves" in heavy syrup that Molly brought me from a trip
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- broken walnuts

I actually started looking around for something to do with the puff pastry last night, and thought that palmieres made with a sprinkling of brown sugar and cinnamon would be great.  They would have, but I've never been able to stick to a recipe.  At all.

I got out the sheets and opened the jar of sour cherry preserves.  They are really dried sour cherries that were then doused in heavy cherry syrup.  Delicious!  Glad I didn't have my heart set on putting them on toast, though!

Way too much syrup!
There were a couple sheets - so two different lay-outs.  The second sheet got walnuts.  Molly doesn't really like nuts in baked goods (I know...), so some are okay for her.

They should have been rolled from either end towards the center.  I tried.  I really did.  Not gonna happen!
Much more manageable amount of syrup.
 The directions on the box of pastry sheets said 430 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden. 
The interesting thing about that is that when making hard candy, the temperature goal is 300F!  So as I watched the heavy syrup pool around the pastry on the cookie sheet, several thoughts were going through my head simultaneously.  1 - This could be very good!  2 - This could be very, very bad, and we'll all lose a tooth or two.
It was immediately clear that the roll-ups needed to be removed from the baking pan immediately.  The pan is soaking happily, and should be clean almost just from that.

The flavor is very intense.  Half as much filling would have been fine - but they are delish.
I think I will get some groceries soon, though.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think these would have been better without the cherries.  Certainly the sheet that had a lot of syrup was overkill, because the syrup tasted burned and sort of ruined them.  Just the chocolate chips with walnuts - maybe a little butter and sugar - perfection.

No comments: